- Saturday September 5 & 12, 2015
- Powell Valley Primary School Back Pack Project and Appalachia Elementary School Warm Hands Project
- Saturday October 10, 2015
- United Methodist Men's Pancake Breakfast
- Float in the Town Movie Event Parade
- Concession Stand at the downtown movie event
- Saturday October 17, 2015: 900 am -500 pm
- Mountain Empire Community College Craft Days Bottled Water Give Away
- Will seek to give away 3000 bottles of water
- Sunday October 25, 2015
- Community Fall Festival at the Church: 300-600 pm
- Inflatables, popcorn, cotton candy, pot luck meal and more
- Saturday October 31, 2015
- Trunk or Treat at the church from 500-800 pm
- Bring your cars and join us!
- Friday November 6, 2015
- Hand out informational fliers before final home football game about Stew, Soup, Chili and Dessert meal
- Saturday November 7, 2015: 500-7:00 pm
- Stew, Soup, Chili, and Dessert meal at the church
- Sunday November 22, 2015: 6:00 pm
- Community Thanksgiving meal open to anyone in the community
- Friday December 4, 2015
- United Methodist Youth Lock-In
- Sunday December 6, 2015
- The Great Cookie Caper
- The Christmas Cantata at 6:00 pm
- Thursday December 24, 2015
- Christmas Eve Candle Light Communion Service at 700 pm
Do you see what I mean about ministry opportunities? As a church, I expect us to work hard during this time of the year. Did you ever wonder why? Well, first of all, the winter months are so unpredictable. It is hard to plan an outreach event because we don't really know what the weather will bring our way. Likewise, it's sort of hard to plan things internally at the church for the same reason. So, those months are not strong ministry times for our church.
Next comes the spring. We begin to thaw out and usually kick things off with our United Methodist Men's Pancake breakfast and our Community Lenten meals, Holy Week services, Easter Egg Hunt, Easter Cantata and other spring type activities.
We pick up speed as we head into the summer months. The big item on the agenda during that time is the Vacation Bible School. We go all out for a few weeks and then slow down to catch our breath because we know that fall is just around the corner and with fall comes out biggest time of ministry and impact on our community.
These events and activities are important to our church, community, and ultimately God's kingdom. They allow us to meet people beyond our doors. They allow us to welcome people into our church. They allow us to share God's love. They allow us to share one another's burdens. They allow us to be the church in action.
All of these things are great places to start, but they are just the start. I hope that we will be able to continue to discover new opportunities to minister and reach out. I hope that we will continue to be a bright beacon in our community.We can. However, it requires that we work together to make these things happen. I cannot do any of these events or activities by myself. No one can. Only working together, as the Body of Christ, each person doing what he or she is capable and called to do, can we achieve what God has in store for our church.
So, in the days ahead, I need you to give an extra push. You may be tired. You may be sore. You may not want to get up and get involved, but your church needs you to get involved. Without you, we will not succeed.
Thank you so much for all the time, effort, sweat, and love you have already put into ministry on behalf of the church. Don't slow down now. There is still plenty that needs to be done.